The Town of Washington Park, located on the north shore of the Pamlico River, was incorporated in 1923 by the North Carolina State legislature. It is separated from the adjoining City of Washington by Runyon Creek. Originally developed as a “residential subdivision” by Dr. John Small, the town has 217 home sites with only 12 lots remaining to be developed. One of the town’s key features is its beautiful waterfront park, where annually the town residents hold a pot-luck picnic. Throughout the year the waterfront park is used by residents for both active and passive recreational activity.
Fire and EMS services are provided for the Town through a contract with the City of Washington. Law enforcement is provided through the Beaufort County Sheriff’s office because Washington Park does not have a police department. Beaufort County Water District provides water throughout the town through a system of water mains and hydrants.